How many times a week you deploy? Cutting-edge companies like Etsy deploy 80 times a day, and market giants like Amazon and Netflix deploy up to thousands times a day. This is the core element of agile deployment practices: shipping frequently so that developers would be able to practice early delivery and continuous improvement. This helps them to narrow down the lead times (the time it takes for code committed to be deployed in production) to less than an hour. Such practice may become a competitive advantage as by its implementation those companies can stay on the top of the world by being highly flexible.
Ways to be truly Agile:
– Lean product management – Divide major releases or big changes into smaller parts that can be released over time.
– Brunch to trunk development – Try and move from feature branches to trunk based development. Bitbucket it a great tool for such a move.
– Waterfall to Agile – The time has come long ago so if you’re still stuck with Waterfall, you might want to rethink your position.
– Automation – This a smart source for investment. Such tools as Bamboo, Bitbucket can help your team a great deal.
According to the report, teams that use Agile deployment practice deploy 200x more frequently than companies that have low performance, with 2,555x faster lead times.
You are probably familiar with the essentials of DevOps but ultimately they boil down to integrating Information Technology, Developers, Information Security and Operations teams. Thus, you may encourage feedback and share visibility.
This way Developers can anticipate architectural flaws and issues related to info security provided that they are working closely together with IT and InfoSec and can avoid rewriting the code later on.
Ways to team up:
– Collaborate frequently: Invite other teams to your daily meetings and demos.
– Use the same tools: If IT and Ops teams use JIRA Service Desk, HipChat, and other tools to collect incidents and monitor performance, they can integrate tickets within JIRA Software tickets.
– Collect and integrate requirements within automated testing: Collect the requirements from the other teams and integrate them withing automated testing.
The report states that integrated teams recover 24x times faster and have 3x times lower change failure rates. What is more, it takes them half time less to remediate security issues.
Some more tips & facts on practicing DevOps:
1) Make everyone an owner: If everyone in your team experiences responsibility over the product ad code, you may end up spending 22% less time on unplanned work and rework as the other DevOps-practicing teams.
2) DevOps is the latest thing in product & project management that made top players reduce change lead times from days to minutes.