What is a roadmap
Jira Software now has roadmaps — simple yet effective functions that forecast the long-term product strategy. Roadmaps reflect a full report on the project that contains all the details about the project. It works as a single source of truth and demonstrates to everyone in the team their progress, and preplan future work.
Types of roadmaps in Jira
It depends on the licensing you have. Atlassian offers basic roadmaps (Jira Software Standard) and advanced ones (Jira Software Premium).
Depending on the team, the roadmaps can be:
- For development team. Can be created in different ways, depending on how the team gets used to working. They’re organized mostly by sprints that show specific tasks and problems plotted on the timeline.
- For sales team. Contain more functions to communicate with clients.
- executives. Easy to monitor information organized by months or quarters, and contains less detail about development processes and tasks.
- External customers roadmap. The main goal is to show the customers what will be next with the product.
How to use roadmaps
Jira Software roadmap has all that a good one should provide. Here are all epics of the projects with start and end dates. Using filters, you can quickly find the information concerning users, task statuses, and dates.
Like in the dashboard, the users have access to the tasks and epics – here it’s also possible to create new ones and edit them.
The roadmap gives stakeholders the possibility to arrive at a consensus with the team and have a common vision of the project.
5 tips for best roadmaps
- Include as much detail as your team needs.
- The roadmap should include both short-term plans and long-term possibilities.
- Don’t forget about it. Make it a periodic routine to review the roadmap and make changes if necessary.
- Make sure everyone has access to the roadmap and checks it regularly.
- Stay connected with stakeholders at all levels to achieve alignment.
At the moment, the built-in roadmaps are available only in Next-Gen projects in Jira Software. If you use other tools, we can provide you with a solution for your business.